Heating and Water Heating Equipment
Heating is the largest energy expense in the average U.S. home, accounting for about 45 percent of your energy bill. New high-efficiency heating or water heating equipment will help you save up to 30 percent, or $400, on heating costs each year.
A furnace or boiler’s efficiency is measured by its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating. An AFUE of 90 percent means that 90 percent of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home, and the other 10 percent is wasted.
A water heater’s efficiency is measured as an Energy Factor (EF), where the higher the number, the more energy efficient the water heater. New equipment can have an EF as high as 0.96.
Compared to older models, new efficient equipment helps you save money in the long term because less energy is wasted. To determine your new equipment’s AFUE or EF, look for the yellow EnergyGuide sticker on the appliance. The higher the AFUE or EF, the less energy is used, saving you money.
Available Rebates and Incentives
If heating or water heating improvements were recommended during your home energy assessment, you could be eligible for rebates of up to $1,600 when you install new, qualifying equipment that meets minimum efficiency requirements. Enhanced rebates on heating equipment are also available for customers who received the Early Replacement recommendation at the time of their assessment. Click here to learn more about Early Replacement rebates.
Review equipment eligibility requirements and rebate levels by choosing your heating or water heating fuel type below.
Oil Water Heating
Propane Water Heating
Gas Water Heating
Electric Water Heating
Contact one or more licensed heating contractor(s) or plumbers of your choice for quotes.
Select a contractor and work with them to schedule the equipment installation.
Once the installation is complete, submit your rebate application either by mail or online.
Note: If your Energy Specialist recommended an Early Replacement Rebate, click here for more information on how to move forward.