Residential Renovations and Additions Incentives
The Sponsors of Mass Save® provide incentives for incorporating energy-efficiency upgrades to the renovations and/or additions of existing homes within our service territories. We offer financial incentives for home renovation and addition that exceed the Massachusetts building energy code to improve energy efficiency.*
Is your home eligible?
Residential renovations and additions to single-family homes and multi-family homes with three stories or less may be eligible if:
- They are located within Sponsor service territories.
- Renovations are extensive and consist of 50% or more of the original home undergoing renovation. Additions meet a minimum of 500 square feet total floor area.
- A Sponsors of Mass Save approved certified HERS rater conducts a preliminary site visit at your home prior to the start of construction or demolition.
- Incentives for new construction projects are only available through the Residential New Construction program. Customers are not eligible for individual equipment rebates through the Mass Save Heating & Cooling programs.
Eligible upgrades may include, but are not limited to:
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
- Water heating equipment
- Air and duct sealing
How to participate:
- 1 Get Started. Fill out the Interest Form. Within a few days, a Sponsor representative will contact you to proceed. If you have questions, please call us at 1-866-527-SAVE (7283) or email [email protected].
- 2 Schedule a preliminary site visit prior to the start of construction or demolition to your home. Contact a Sponsor approved certified HERS rater to schedule a preliminary site visit at your home.
- 3 During the preliminary site visit. A certified HERS rater will review your plans, estimate possible energy savings, and may recommend additional energy efficiency upgrades. This visit takes 1-2 hours.
- 4 Receive a preliminary report. Customers typically receive an estimate of the savings and incentive amount after the preliminary site visit.
- 5 Schedule insulation inspection. If you are installing new insulation, contact your certified HERS rater to schedule your insulation inspection, or to receive instructions on how to complete a remote inspection. Please ensure you schedule this inspection to take place once the insulation work is complete but before wallboard has gone up. In lieu of an onsite inspection, you may be eligible for a virtual inspection.
- 6 Schedule a final inspection. As you near completion, set up a final site visit with your certified HERS rater. They will finalize all the details and perform final diagnostic testing as needed.
- 7 Receive your incentive. After the final inspection is processed, you’ll receive an incentive completion notification and post-participation survey via email. Within 10–12 weeks of your final inspection, you’ll receive an incentive check in the mail.
See how the Sponsors of Mass Save help your neighbor saveCase Study: Highland Street
Have a question? We're here to help:
Ready to get started? Contact us today:
* Specific terms are subject to change from year to year.