Become a Home Energy Services (HES) Participating Contractor

The HES Program is for single family (1-4 unit) residential buildings and offers customers a whole house approach to energy efficiency. With support from the Sponsors of Mass Save® like marketing, incentives, and financing, it makes the job easier for contractors too.


Understand Your Options

There are two types of HES Contractors: Home Performance Contractors and Independent Installation Contractors.

Home Performance Contractors

A Home Performance Contractor (HPC) offers customers turnkey services from performing the Home Energy Assessment to the installation of program-approved weatherization improvements. HPCs work directly with customers and recruit them for the program.


Independent Installation Contractors

An Independent Installation Contractor (IIC) provides insulation and air sealing improvements as recommended by the Lead Vendor.


HPCs and IICs are managed by Lead Vendors and the Sponsors of Mass Save

Lead Vendors

The Lead Vendor conducts home energy assessments for customers, manages contractor agreements, and implements all other aspects of the HES program.

The Sponsors of Mass Save

The Sponsors of Mass Save are Berkshire Gas, Cape Light Compact JPE, Eversource Electric and Gas, Liberty Utilities, National Grid Electric and Gas, and Unitil. The PAs are responsible for overall management of the Home Energy Services Program.


Why Become an HES Contractor?

Becoming an HES Contractor is a boost for your business. In addition to expanding the services you can offer your customers and benefiting from Mass Save's marketing of the program, you can access valuable training programs, incentives, and support from Mass Save.


Home Performance & Independent Installation Contractor Requirements:

  • A signed participation agreement with the appropriate Sponsor’s Lead Vendor
  • Insurance as required by the Sponsor
  • Background checks for all applicable staff, as required by the Sponsor
  • MA Home Improvement Contractor License
  • MA Construction Supervisor’s License
  • MA Lead Safe Certificate
  • Authorized boot camp and combustion safety certification or authorized crew chief training
  • Home Performance Contractors must also be BPI Analyst and Envelope Certified (IICs do not need this certification)
  • Satisfactory review of past participation/performance


How to Become a Participating Contractor:

  • 1 Step 1

    Send us an e-mail at [email protected]

  • 2 Step 2
    In the e-mail, please provide:
    1. A. Your company's contact information
    2. B. A list of the Sponsors you are interested in working with
    3. C. If you’d like to be an Independent Installation Contractor or Home Performance Contractor

The appropriate Lead Vendor will contact you with next steps, as well as documentation and information.