Energy Efficiency Tips for Businesses
- Use natural light whenever feasible in occupied buildings, have windows opened to welcome natural heating on sunny days.
- Verify that security systems are turned on and working properly.
- In vacant buildings, keep the windows and blinds closed to avoid drastic temperature fluctuation.
- Shut down compressed air systems if the equipment does not require conditioned air.
- Eliminate HVAC system use in underutilized spaces or where unmanned processes take place.
Refrigeration and other appliances:
- Turn your refrigerator off and leave the door open after using up perishable foods.
- Unplug devices and power strips when you leave. Many electronic appliances and devices continue to consume energy even when they are shut down.
- Adjust to the brightness level on your tv or monitors. By lowering the brightness setting, you will greatly reduce power consumption while maintaining proper picture quality.
- Turn off exterior signage, lighting and parking lot lights if not needed. Make sure you are in code compliance for any safety and security lighting.
- Turn off lights in vacant refrigeration cases.
HVAC and Lighting:
- Turn off or dim partial lighting in spaces that are not being utilized.
- Close fume covers to reduce the loss of warm/cool air.
- Shut down domestic hot water heaters or substantially lower the heating set point.
- Apply settings to HVAC economizers to close when air systems are off.
- Avoid using HVAC systems to heat or cool unused facilities that do not serve critical equipment.
- Keep the HVAC systems set to run with unoccupied temperature setbacks.
- Manually turn off emergency lighting in underutilized spaces.