Variable Speed Drive Upgrades
Get money-saving incentives on Variable Speed Drives (VSDs) and reduce your equipment’s energy use.
High-efficiency Variable Speed Drives (VSDs) reduce energy use by operating at speeds that vary over time based on changing electric loads. Alternatively, standard pump and fan systems always run at full speed, consuming more electricity than required to do the job. An energy efficient VSD slows the fan or pump down when the actual load decreases.The Sponsors of Mass Save® provide incentives for eligible Variable Speed Drives.
For complete eligibility details and terms and conditions, refer to application or portal.
Contact your Mass Save Sponsor before purchasing and installing any equipment. You may use the Find Your Sponsor tool for contact information for your area.
Other product types beyond what is listed in the Application may be eligible for custom incentives.
- A VSD must be controlled by an automatic signal in response to modulating air and/or water flows. The VSD’s speed must be automatically controlled by differential pressure, flow, or temperature.
- Applicants must demonstrate significant load diversity that will result in savings through motor speed variation.
- Motors must operate a minimum of 2,000 hours annually to be eligible for incentives.
- The following VSD applications are NOT eligible for prescriptive incentives under this application:
- Forward curve fans with inlet guide vanes
- Variable pitch vane-axial fans
- Planned replacement or replacement of previously failed VSD
- Two-speed cooling tower fans
- VSD used for balancing
- VSD used as two-speed control of fan or pump
- VSD used to mitigate over-sized motor installation