Beat The Heat With Cool Deals on Appliances
August 06, 2015
The dog days of summer are great for so many things: trips to the ballpark, ice cream, and lobster rolls, to name a few. August also brings with it back to school season. If you’re a parent (and don’t have shellfish allergies), you are most likely OK with what late summer has to offer. If you’re a refrigerator or freezer (or homeowner), though, summer can be devastating to your well-being.
Heat and Refrigeration Don’t Mix
Hot weather isn’t too great for your fridges and freezers. More of these appliances die in the summer than any other time of the year under the strain of operating in hot, humid temperatures. These devices operate similarly to humans - once the ambient temperature gets too warm, their ability to function as intended shuts down. If there is a stretch of weather greater than 95 degrees and you have an older unit, don’t be surprised if you need to make a service call.
How can you beat the heat when it comes to using your fridge and freezer this summer? First, it’s important to remember that fridges and freezers perform at their best when stocked in opposite ways:
- Fill the freezer. Freezers operate at optimal efficiency when fully packed. Stocking your freezer all the way for the summer, or even adding in ice packs for impromptu picnics and getaways, will help your freezer’s operating efficiency.
- Let your fridge breathe. Fridges, on the other hand, operate optimally when air has an opportunity to circulate. If you have a packed fridge, this can cause food to be cooled at different temperatures and may sometimes result in the over- or under-cooling of food – which leads to spoiling or freezing.
Here are a few more ideas on fridge and freezer maintenance that can be useful for keeping your appliances in peak condition all year long.
Hot Summer Deals
Let’s face it – when it’s really hot out, your old fridge or freezer may be beyond saving. But that’s OK! New fridges and freezers are much more efficient than units made more than 10 years ago. ENERGY STAR® Most Efficient fridges and ENERGY STAR freezers are up to 10 percent more efficient than standard models, providing you with the same features and functionality but with greater energy savings.
And while some of the hottest days of the summer may be beyond us, the hottest deals aren’t. During the month of August, retailers throughout Massachusetts are not only gearing up for a potential tax-free weekend, but also for Mass Save’s summer appliance promotion. Here are ways you can participate with special offers and discounts:
- Rebates: Looking for a new Most Efficient fridge, ENERGY STAR certified freezer, or appliance in general? Visit our offers page to find a rebate before you start shopping.
- Retail Offers: Retailers throughout the Commonwealth are offering special discounts and incentives on a wide range of appliances, including fridges, freezers, dehumidifiers, and electric clothes dryers.
- Sweepstakes: Don’t forget to check our Facebook and Twitter pages throughout August for instant offers and sweepstakes.
Now that you know a few ways to help your fridge and freezer beat the heat, and where to find the best deals on appliances, we hope the rest of your summer will be smooth sailing or even a day at the beach.
Lighting & Appliances Home Energy Savings