We provide recycling for older lamps and ballasts containing toxic PCBs subject to regulations.
- Some older lighting ballasts contain toxic PCBs which are subject to special regulations for transport and disposal.
- These ballasts are recycled free of charge when replaced under our lighting incentive programs.
- Standard linear fluorescents, lamps with green end caps or green marking, compact fluorescents, germicidal lamps, high intensity discharge (HID) and high-pressure sodium lamps all contain mercury. Mercury is a toxic substance and the improper disposal of this substance will have a long term environmental impact.
- State regulatory agencies recommend recycling lamps that contain mercury.
This service is available to businesses in Massachusetts that are gas or electricity customers of these Program Administrators through the Direct Install Program:
- Cape Light Compact
- National Grid
- Western Massachusetts Electric
This service is offered to commercial, industrial, and municipal customers participating in an energy efficiency retrofit lighting program.
For more information, contact your Program Administrator. For a list of recycling companies, visit LampRecycle.org.
Not sure who your Program Administrator is? The Program Administrator tool (on the right above) provides contact information for your service area.