If you are the owner or operator of a residential multi-family facility with five (5) or more units on the property, energy efficiency should be a key part of your business plan. Regardless of your income, or whether the building currently exists or is scheduled for construction, you may be eligible for programs for reducing your facility’s energy usage.
The Program offers Multi-Family energy assessments that identify cost-effective efficiency improvement or replacement opportunities. Utilizing a “whole facility” approach, the assessments focus on your facility's thermal envelope (shell insulation and air leakage conditions for units heated by natural gas or electricity) as well as lighting and mechanical systems. We will also assess in-unit savings potential for your tenants.
Eligible multi-family facilities are defined as:
- Residential facilities with five (5) or more dwelling units on the property.
- Buildings with income-eligible residents living in non-institutional multi-family facilities with five (5) or more units owned or operated by a for-profit entity, a non-profit entity, or a public housing authority. These facilities may qualify under our Low Income Multi-Family Program.
The following improvements may be eligible for incentives:
- Lighting upgrades & controls
- Occupancy sensors
- Water heating equipment
- Domestic hot water measures such as low-flow showerheads, aerators, and pipe wrap
- Programmable thermostats
- Air sealing
- High-efficiency heating and cooling equipment upgrades and controls
- ENERGY STAR® qualified refrigerators and other eligible appliances
- Other energy improvements determined on a site-specific basis
Note: Buildings with four or fewer units per property are served under our Residential programs and are not eligible for multi-family energy assessments.
For more information about programs for Multi-Family Facilities, contact our Multi-Family Retrofit Program at 1-800-594-7277 to learn how to participate or download our Multi-family brochure.
The EPA has developed Portfolio Manager, an interactive energy management tool that allows you to track and assess energy and water consumption across your entire portfolio of buildings in a secure online environment. Whether you own, manage, or hold properties for investment, Portfolio Manager can help you set investment priorities, identify under-performing buildings, verify efficiency improvements, and receive EPA recognition for superior energy performance.
Visit the EPA’s Portfolio Manager Benchmarking Tool
to learn more.