Many energy efficiency practices and technologies are available to owners and managers of large buildings. However, the greatest impact is achieved when a building’s energy consumption is considered as a whole. This holistic approach results in comprehensive, integrated solutions that leverage all available efficiency opportunities. The Whole Building Assessment initiative evaluates the consumption of all fuels across all aspects of building operations — from lighting, HVAC, and computers to building envelope improvements and thermal equipment controls. By benchmarking energy usage against similar buildings, your utility can help the customer identify where energy consumption and costs can be reduced and then work with you to implement those efficiency measures that provide the greatest opportunity for improvement.
Benefits of a Whole Building Assessment
A Whole Building Assessment serves critical operational, financial, and environmental needs. The initiative:
- Helps building owners and operators understand the energy costs in their buildings
- Reduces operating costs and increases energy efficiency
- Improves comfort and productivity for building occupants
- Differentiates the building as energy-efficient, potentially increasing the value of the facility
- Promotes environmentally friendly operations by reducing the building’s carbon footprint
- Educates staff regarding energy efficiency, stimulating awareness on and off the job
Costs and Incentives
Financial assistance from your utility can help defray the cost of Whole Building Assessment and the implementation of efficiency measures:
- Some efficiency services, such as the lighting audit, are offered at no charge to the customer.
- The cost of the building’s mechanical energy audit is shared between the customer and the utility
- Additional incentive programs are available to reduce the installation cost of many energy-efficient improvements.
For more information, contact your local utility’s energy efficiency program administrator:
National Grid Electric Energy Efficiency Rebate Program: 1-800-787-1706
NStar Commercial & Industrial Programs: 1-781-441-8592
Unitil Commercial Energy Efficiency Programs: 1-888-301-7700
WMECO Conservation & Load Management 1-800-835-2707