Unlike incentives for many prescriptive energy efficiency measures — such as the use of specific high efficiency lighting fixtures or water heating systems — custom incentives apply to more complex or one-of-a-kind measures that go beyond prescriptive guidelines. Custom incentives defray a significant portion of the incremental cost of high efficiency solutions.
The following systems, and others, may be eligible for custom incentives:
- Custom lighting systems and controls
- Pumping systems
- Combustion controls
- Heat recovery
- Solar thermal systems
- Steam systems
- Building envelope
- Insulation and weatherization
- Window systems
- Energy management systems
- Process and manufacturing improvements
- Compressed air systems
- Variable speed drives
- Combined Heat and Power (CHP) (ie Cogeneration systems)*
*Special incentives apply to CHP projects. Click here for information on the incentive guidebook and the prospect form.
An engineering study, performed by an experienced energy engineer qualified by NSTAR, is a fundamental element of the custom incentive process.
- In existing facilities, the study uses billing and metering data to ascertain the energy performance of current equipment or processes and quantifies the potential for improvement.
NSTAR shares up to 50% of the energy engineer’s expense to quantify potential savings. Project incentives are paid in accordance with qualifying criteria established by state regulators:
Up to 50% of cost of upgraded equipment, or an amount that buys down the cost of the project to a 1.5 year simple payback
Up to 50% of project costs to a maximum of $100,000
For more information please download this form and contact NSTAR at 1-781-441-8592.
For eligibility requirements, please contact NSTAR at 1-781-441-8592.